Malaysia Website Hosting versus International Website Hosting
It doesn’t take a genius at this moment to realize our Internet has slowed to a crawl – especially Streamyx users. Some of your favourite websites or blogs even, take more than 3-5 minutes to load on a single connection. I can’t even bear to mention the number of times I’ve refreshed and reset my connection, just to get a better IP address. For those who don’t know, selected IP connections do give a faster browsing speed. Don’t ask me why. *points to TMNet*
You may have noticed selected local websites still loading at the normal speeds. Well, it’s because the local connections aren’t fully affected by the international cables – which are down now. Yes, apparently there’s an underwater cable disruption on TMNet’s website which they always assume for its customers to refer instead of informing us via email. Well, the next common question some clients ask me is; what’s the difference between hosting in Malaysia and outside of it?
I’m going to admit first I’m not a website hosting expert. However, here are some of the answers I’ve found through my observations all these years.
Malaysia Website Hosting Advantages(+) and Disadvatages(-)
- (+) Websites load faster.
- (+) Easier optimized for Google.com.my.
- (+) Business govern by Malaysia law.
- (-) Packages are only average compared to international ones.
- (-) International users have problems accessing if the international connection is down.
- (-) Little more difficult optimizing for Google.com
International Website Hosting Advantages(+) and Disadvatages(-)
- (+) Websites load a little slower – add 30 seconds more or less.
- (+) Packages are more affordable and attractive.
- (+) Easier optimized for Google.com.
- (-) Business not govern by Malaysia law.
- (-) Local users have problems accessing if the local connection is down – rarely happens.
- (-) Little more difficult optimizing for Google.com.my
I’ve also found website hosting in Singapore may be more reliable than Malaysia. Plus, if Malaysia or the international link from Malaysia goes down I trust my Singapore provider to have it still running at its best performance.
Note hoewever, I didn’t include the customer service because this is justified by the company culture itself. But the general phrase I always like to use is; you pay peanuts for monkeys. Though sometimes even when you pay gold, there has been instances of a monkey around.
Generally, the list are the observed effects I’ve noticed when using local and international website hosting. Websites Made Simple is hosted by a local company with a US-based server so it’s quite sluggish now. However, I’m looking forward to launch a new blog with a Malaysia-based website hosting company this year. Simply because I need it to load faster and I’m not keen (yet) for it to reach more of an international audience.
Are you hosted in Malaysia, Singapore, US or others? How is it right now?
Have something to say? Leave a comment